[MEI-L] slur and @curvedir

Johannes Kepper kepper at edirom.de
Tue Feb 3 11:22:46 CET 2015

Dear all,

I think Perry is right in pointing out the different use cases that result in different solutions. For rendering, @bezier is probably the first choice, but it doesn't help much for analytical purposes. Here, I would probably follow Perry's advice, that is, split up the slur into two (or more, depending on the example) separate slur elements with a clear @curvedir, and then use @join to recombine them. Even though I would probably take this path, there are some caveats I'm not completely settled with yet.

First, it seems like our encodings are incompatible – we can't have the rendering-specific @bezier on one element, and two elements for the "analytical" aspect. Splitting @bezier also into two separate curves on the two slur elements is probably impossible, since @bezier doesn't control the width of the curve, and thus not the tips where our two slurs connect – the visual result would be different than what we want to achieve (but I may be perfectly wrong about this). In essence, the graphical precision would suffer from being combined with the analytical information.

The other issue I can see is that @join would be used in a slightly different way than in other occasions. The main purpose of @join (at least for me) is to indicate that two measures are actually one, that is, not all beats of a measure are written before a system or page break. While MEI allows to insert <pb/> and <sb/> in every layer, I prefer to close the measure instead, insert one break that doesn't have to be coordinated with others, open the next measure, and indicate that this new measure is a continuation of the one before the break. In this setup, @join is used to indicate that two separate graphical entities form one logical entity. In Benni's slur example, we would use it the other way round, that is, we split up one graphical entity into multiple logical entities. I wonder what this means and have to admit that I'm not even decided if that's a problem or not. Opinions?

Johannes

we have to be very clear about the different intentions an encoder may have. If the task is to preserve a specific rendering, there seems no way around @bezier. However, @bezier is of little help for analytical purposes. Here, I believe Axel's question about the "turning points" seems very important.