[MEI-L] Music Addressability API draft

Eleanor Selfridge-Field esfield at stanford.edu
Wed Nov 12 23:08:57 CET 2014

RE "unmeasured", a written cadenza (unmeasured) within a measured context would not work in an "until the end of time" scenario.

Requiring "measured" only will also leave aside a lot of 17th and 20th century music.  Finale introduced this concept in 1987 to work with MIDI interchange, but our goals are not the same as Finale's. Could there be a branch for unmeasured, polyrhythms, non- Western, and other "special needs" repertories?

Eleanor

<!--
 /* Font Definitions */
 @font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;
	mso-font-charset:0;
	mso-generic-font-family:roman;
	mso-font-pitch:variable;
	mso-font-signature:-536870145 1107305727 0 0 415 0;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;
	mso-font-charset:0;
	mso-generic-font-family:swiss;
	mso-font-pitch:variable;
	mso-font-signature:-536870145 1073786111 1 0 415 0;}
 /* Style Definitions */
	{mso-style-unhide:no;
	mso-style-qformat:yes;
	mso-style-parent:"";
	margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;
	mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;
	mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";
	mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast;
	mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;
	mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;
	mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";
	mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;
	text-underline:single;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-noshow:yes;
	mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#954F72;
	mso-themecolor:followedhyperlink;
	text-decoration:underline;
	text-underline:single;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	mso-default-props:yes;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	mso-ansi-font-size:11.0pt;
	mso-bidi-font-size:11.0pt;
	mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;
	mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;
	mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";
	mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast;
	mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;
	mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;
	mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";
	mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;
	mso-header-margin:.5in;
	mso-footer-margin:.5in;
	mso-paper-source:0;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
-->

Eleanor
Selfridge-Field

Consulting Professor, Music (and, by courtesy, Symbolic Systems)

Braun Music Center #129

Stanford University

Stanford, CA 94305-3076, USA

http://web.stanford.edu/~esfield/