[MEI-L] Music Addressability API draft

Kőmíves Zoltán zolaemil at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 21:09:44 CET 2014

Hi Raff,

My comment was more about the ambiguity that is created by the implicit
nature of the actual cut-off mode (and this is vaguely related to the MEI
tstamp2 problem).

If the definition of the "cut" mode is that the end value is the absolute
end, that is nothing can extend longer than the end value, you can still
chose to discard or actually cut the events that would extend longer, but
the point is that this position is defined by then end value explicitly,
rather than implicitly (by applying ceil or +1).

So in 4/4 the if the URL ended something like "../1-3/cut" and there's a
half-note starting on the second beat, it will be qualified as a non-fit
(while according the original system, it would be qualified as a fit.) This
would also allow you to specify an interval shorter than a beat (e.g.
1-1.5/cut).

I wasn't trying to suggest anything about what to do with the non-fitters
though. I guess it is very much application dependent; perhaps would be a
good idea to allow three options here: drop, keep, cut?