[MEI-L] Recordings and FRBR

Benjamin Wolff Bohl bohl at edirom.de
Wed Oct 15 11:54:13 CEST 2014

Hi Axel,
thanks for your hint about where to put the engineers! I think you're
right with putting the "first" (see below) engineers in the
manifestation level. The reason why I was tempted to put them in the
expression level is the multiple stage process of recording, editing,
mixing, and mastering. But this might be an artefact of my audio
engineering background. Moreover in this special case the "performance"
was solely set up for the recording...

The "first" engineer captures all the audio during the "performance"
which in this case is all but linear and produces a huge amount of
overhead (passages recorded multiple times and not necessarily linear
according to the score).
A "second" engineer might be responsible for editing the audio, that is
to create the one never performed version from all these audio snippets,
the result of which would be nearer to what becomes the manifestation.
A "third" engineer might then adjust some spectral parameters in order
to fit into the broad concept of the publication/manifestation.
Yet some "fourth" will be responsible for creating the items (in our
case audio files).

Relying on e.g. MARC relator codes in this context for specifying the
responsibilities is not fully satisfying though, as (other than with
video production) the term list lacks differentiation of these different
tasks. Maybe a combination of terms might be applicable, but do not know
if doing so is "good" practice?
E.g. the "second" engineer responsible for editing the audio might be
classified as:
marc:rce which is not fully true as he did not issue any recording,
identifying the best passages from all the material he might be further
specified as marc:edt although he is not an "editor" in the common sense
of the publication workflow he still does editing (cutting the audio)
especially considering that doing so will require a degree of
intellectual capabilities concerning music. Does this sound plausible?

Appreciating more replies,
Benjamin

Musikwissenschaftliches Seminar Detmold/Paderborn
BMBF-Projekt "Freischütz Digital"
Benjamin Wolff Bohl
Gartenstraße 20
D–32756 Detmold