[MEI-L] "Cancelling" key signatures; non-standard key sigs

Roland, Perry D. (pdr4h) pdr4h at eservices.virginia.edu
Sat Sep 6 00:03:15 CEST 2014

Comments below --

Precisely.

> I agree with you that any indication of key requires an analysis of the
> musical content, so I still don't buy @key.sig as an indicator of key. Sorry
> Perry!

I'm coming to the conclusion that I may not be a fan of that anymore.   :-)  Hence, the suggestion to change the name of this attribute to "key.fifths" or even "keysig.fifths".

> > Since <keyAccid> allows encoding any of the accidentals in
> > data.ACCIDENTALS.EXPLICIT, it seems we can already strike a nice balance
> > between ease and properness by understanding <keySig> as an indication
> > of visual appearance. In this situation, @key.sig and @key.sig.mixed
> > would help determine the pitch class of following notes, and <keySig>
> > would determine the written appearance of the key signature.
> >

> I wouldn't want to see <keySig /> be used *only* for visual appearances of
> the key signature. That seems like it's curtailing it's usefulness as a more
> expressive representation for just these kinds of corner cases.

Agreed.  It's not just for visual appearance.  It's for any case beyond the conventional.

> There are many places in MEI where an attribute is used as a simplified way
> of expressing common things, while elements are used for more advanced
> encoding. For example:
>
> <note pname="b" accid="ff">
>
> Would be a quick and easy way of indicating an B-double flat, but should
> you require a double-flat with a cautionary natural (for whatever reason)
> you could write:
>
> <note pname="b">
>   <accid accid="n" func="caution" />
>   <accid accid="ff" />
> </note>
>
> I'm going to assume the same for @key.sig; If you need advanced key
> signature functionality, use <keySig />, but for most purposes @key.sig
> should be fine.

Ding!  Ding!  Ding!  We have a winner!  :-)