[MEI-L] "Cancelling" key signatures; non-standard key sigs

Roland, Perry D. (pdr4h) pdr4h at eservices.virginia.edu
Fri Sep 5 17:59:24 CEST 2014

There are already ways to accomplish this --

- use @key.sig for simple key signatures and rely on renderers to supply cancelling accidentals and/or
- use <keySig> to capture explicit descriptions of the source

The decision when to do one or the other (or both) depends on whether one is using MEI as a "typesetter" or as a "(existing) document representation scheme".

For clarification, however, I think it would be a good idea to change the names of @key.sig, @key.sig.mixed, and data.KEYSIGNATURE to something that better describes their functions.