[MEI-L] Questions about Beaming

Johannes Kepper kepper at edirom.de
Tue Aug 12 08:58:42 CEST 2014

Almost everything important has been said already. However, there are some more additions I'd like to make.

Am 12.08.2014 um 00:15 schrieb Roland, Perry D. (pdr4h) <pdr4h at eservices.virginia.edu>:

> As usual, Craig is faster at the keyboard than I.

> As for Craig’s last 3 examples, I wouldn’t attempt to represent them in a single layer.  This kind of notation is mostly used to indicate 2 “somethings” -- either 2 “voices” from a single instrument or a single “voice” being played on 2 strings.  In either case, it’s easier to treat it/them as 2 layers.

But if you put it on two layers, you have to add a number of <space> elements to spread to notes correctly on both layers.

This leads to another issue I see with Perry's encoding proposal. If you use <beamSpan> (which is clearly the most powerful encoding solution), you should not rely on @startid and @endid (solely). Especially with those "blended" beam groups, it seems much better to use the @plist instead. This "participant list" points to all notes whose stems should attach to the beam(s). You're not only providing start and end points, and have to guess about what's happening in between, this way you explicitly state how things should be rendered.

But in general, Perry's recommendation to use one or the other is the best you can do.

Just for completeness, there is a fourth way to encode beams.  The @beam.group attribute on <staffDef> and <scoreDef> allows to specify a default beaming behavior. Documentation is (too) scarce on this one, however. It goes back to the first efforts to render MEI with MUP, and tries to provide a way to say things like "all eighth notes shall be beamed in groups of two". However, we're missing examples in here, and we're also missing a defined data format for the values of this attribute. I'd assume that you're supposed to use the same values that MUP utilizes, but since this solution predates my involvement in MEI, I'm just guessing.
The @beam.group solution has other significant drawbacks, so I strongly recommend to not use it. It may be helpful for manual encoding, when your most important concern is to save some keystrokes. But there is limited capability to override it in the encoding later on. I'd say it's possible to have a <beam> in the encoding that includes more notes than the @beam.group would indicates. However, there is no <noBeam> element or similar in MEI, allowing to say that some notes are not beamed, contrary to what @beam.group would require. In that case, one would have to insert another <staffDef> (or <scoreDef>), change the default behavior by giving a different value for @beam.group, and change back to the original value after the differing section with another <staffDef>. All this doesn't look very practical to me, so I wouldn't recommend to use @beam.group _unless it's exactly the solution for your specific problem_.

Just for curiosity, have you considered to create a profile for MEI to be used as starting point for your conversion? I think its honorable but futile to try to cover everything under the MEI sun. I would see no harm in operating only on a subset of MEI. In essence, you could say that you cover only <beam>, but not @beam (just as examples). Such a profile can be generated from the underlying ODD, resulting in both HTML documentation of your profile and an RNG schema that allows users to check if their files would go through smoothly or not.

Best,
Johannes