[MEI-L] Questions about Beaming

Craig Sapp craigsapp at gmail.com
Mon Aug 11 23:25:21 CEST 2014

Hi Christopher,

You can wait for someone else to comment more precisely, but in the
meantime here are examples as points of discussion:

​
In this case <beamSpan> is needed to represent the first beam on the bottom
staff.  If there were both <beam> and <beamSpan> at the same time for this
case, I would interpret this as "use the <beamSpan> directions unless the
notation renderer cannot handle it (particularly Finale...), in which case
fall back to the <beam> directions.

The only case I have come across for nested beams would be that grace-note
beams are independent of regular beams:

​In this case the beam organization would be:

   <beam> grace-A, grace-B </beam>
</beam>

How would the following example be encoded in MEI (from a hypothetical
violin repertory, indicating string numbers via beaming)?  This might also
be implemented as a single layer with nested beams:

The following example would then require <beamSpan>s (or a mixture of
<beamSpan>s and <beam>s):

​

​Now I am wondering how this can be encoded as in a single layer:

​
-=+Craig