[MEI-L] pointing mechanism

Roland, Perry D. (pdr4h) pdr4h at eservices.virginia.edu
Fri Aug 1 17:45:27 CEST 2014

Hi Zoltan,

I think the answer to your question lies in the definition of "everywhere where it is not impractical".  The adopted strategy is to add the attributes in att.pointing and ptr or ref child elements when there's a specific need.  It would be technically possible to make these attributes (easiest) and child elements (somewhat more difficult) more widely available, but then it would be necessary to provide clear explanations of use of those attributes for every element.  That seems to me to be a pretty daunting task.  We could, I suppose, in effect say, "use them for whatever purpose you want."  But, then their effectiveness for any given purpose is degraded and processing and interchange capabilities are diminished.

Do you have a specific case where you think att.pointing (or ptr/ref) would be a useful addition?

Perry Roland
Music Library
University of Virginia
P. O. Box 400175