[MEI-L] pointing mechanism

Kőmíves Zoltán zolaemil at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 17:36:33 CEST 2014

Dear MEI-L people!

I'm trying to express that the musical text is contained at another
location, however neither of music, body, mdiv and score elements allow the
pointing attributes, nor they can contain ptr of ref elements. I could rely
on referencing from a section element, but I wonder why I cannot do it from
higher level ones?

Or my question worded in another way: the pointing mechanism provided by
ptr, ref and the att.pointing attribute class, from their description in
the Guidelines, seem to be very generic. I'd assume if it is generic, it
would be allowed everywhere where it is not impractical, but their use seem
to be a lot more restricted. Why is that?

Thanks a lot
Zoltan