[MEI-L] Hosting MEI on GitHub

Craig Sapp craigsapp at gmail.com
Wed May 28 23:48:45 CEST 2014

++ from me :-)

I would say that it is best to transfer it, and to put the transfer as far
back in time as possible, i.e. do it now so that the change becomes less
disruptive in the future.

I dislike SVN, and find git acceptable, and combined with GitHub making it
quite useful.

Music21 saw the light this year -- you can study how they handle it by
keeping releases available on GoogleCode, but moving the repository
activity to GitHub:
   https://github.com/cuthbertLab/music21
   https://code.google.com/p/music21

In other words, you can keep multiple copies, but only do version control
on GitHub -- copying over the contents to GoogleCode as desired at every
significant change, such as releases.

GitHub has a pretty good system for hosting webpages, here is the new
Humdrum documentation website set up at the MEC Hack day by Dan Shanahan
fairly quickly from the old documentation website (still under
construction):
    http://www.humdrum.org

-=+Craig