[MEI-L] MEI organization

Johannes Kepper kepper at edirom.de
Fri May 9 11:11:05 CEST 2014

Hi Giuliano,

we're all speaking just for ourselves in this discussion, and I think it's crucial that everyone actually gets, but also feels like he has the same say on this. I also don't want to rush things. If we need the time to discuss, we take the time to discuss. I'm very happy that we entered another round of discussion at this time.

I share your argument that the conference is a precious opportunity for discussion. However, I also think it would be a brilliant opportunity to come to conclusions. There is this momentum of a personal meeting, and we all know that after such an event, risk is great that nothing more will happen for the next few weeks. Therefore, I would love to reach some sort of consensus by the end of the conference. As this is probably the most severe decision that the MEI community ever had to make, I would really love to reach a consensus, and not a vote, which always results in someone having lost. Of course this requires everyone interested in the problem to speak up timely, but if someone doesn't share his opinion with the community, this is some kind of statement as well, I think.

As I said, I'm not trying to rush things, I'm just curious about the direction we're taking. In my ideal (other say naive) world, we enter the conference with more or less one proposal (which may be a combination of the three we have right now), so that we can use the conference to talk out the important details (e.g. four seats vs. six seats). I don't think we need to come up with final "MEI community bylaws" (this is something the future Board (or whatever it will be called) can work out in greater detail), but we should try to agree on the cornerstones, I think. This won't be easy, especially since we need to make sure that people not in C'ville will get opportunities to participate in the discussion as well, but otherwise I see the risk of having an eternal discussion with virtually no clear end. I'm fine with giving everyone an opportunity to think over what we will have discussed in C'ville for another week or two. Since the current proposals include elections, it is obvious that we don't vote at the time of the conference anyway. But still, we should have a draft at the end of the conference that clearly describes the most important aspects at least. Otherwise, we will discuss about apples and peaches for a very long time…

As I said earlier, this is just my personal view, and I absolutely agree that we have to discuss this properly. If our discussions take more time, I'm more than happy if we just take that time. However, I know that some people in this community (including myself) are most efficient when working against a deadline. I'm just afraid that we allow ourselves more time for discussion, which we don't use actively afterwards. The schedule above is nothing more than a proposal, and I see no harm in being late on it – as long as we're actively working. It seems desirable to me to have an official MEI body that has the authority to decide about future conferences etc. rather sooner than later…

Again, just my personal two cents,
Johannes