[MEI-L] history of sources / items

Benjamin Wolff Bohl bohl at edirom.de
Fri Apr 4 11:03:37 CEST 2014

Dear all,

not that I have too much experience in cataloguing sources or writing
verbose source description, but it might help to have a look at the TEI
way of doing things. Some nice example applications concerning
manuscripts were presented during the Edirom-Summer-School 2013 by
Torsten Schaßan.

The Herzog August Bibliothek has their TEI code available on-line, see
for example:
http://diglib.hab.de/?db=mss&list=ms&id=27-2-aug-2f&catalog=Lesser&mode=xml

Just my to code-points ;-)
Benjamin

Musikwissenschaftliches Seminar Detmold/Paderborn
BMBF-Projekt "Freischütz Digital"
Benjamin Wolff Bohl
Gartenstraße 20
D--32756 Detmold

Tel. +49 (0) 5231 / 975-669
Fax: +49 (0) 5231 / 975-668
E-Mail: bohl at edirom.de

http://www.freischuetz-digital.de

Am 03.04.2014 21:32, schrieb Joachim Veit:
> [...]
>>    </rng:choice>
>> </rng:zeroOrMore>
>>
>> where the members of model.textcomponentLike are:
>>
>> lgLike - lg
>> listLike - biblList, eventList, list
>> pLike -p
>> quoteLike - quote
>> tableLike - table
>>
>> or perhaps
>>
>> <rng:optional>
>>    <rng:ref name="model.headLike"/>
>> </rng:optional>
>> <rng:optional>
>>    <rng:ref name="creation"/>
>> </rng:optional>
>> <rng:zeroOrMore>
>>    <rng:ref name="model.divLike"/>
>> </rng:zeroOrMore>
>>
>> where the membership of model.divLike is just <div> and members of
>> model.divLike and model.textcomponentLike are permitted as content of
>>
>> or
>>
>> <rng:optional>
>>    <rng:ref name="model.headLike"/>
>> </rng:optional>
>> <rng:optional>
>>    <rng:ref name="creation"/>
>> </rng:optional>
>> <rng:zeroOrMore>
>>    <rng:choice>
>>      <rng:ref name="model.divLike"/>
>>      <rng:ref name="model.textcomponentLike"/>
>>    </rng:choice>
>> </rng:zeroOrMore>
>>
>> making <history> into a more div-Like container that can wrap other
>> components and divs (which is how you can get section headings).
>>
>> These modifications will also address your need to include a list of
>> bibliographic citations within <history>.
>>
>> Going farther, we could even drop <creation> from <history>, moving
>> any content in former versions of MEI to subordinate <p> elements.
>> This would eliminate the privileging of data-like uses of <creation>.
>>
>>> I still think that <history> might be a better parent for
>>> <provenance> than <physDesc>. We agree that the provenance of an
>>> item is not part of the physical description, do we? I'm not saying
>>> we must move it to history, but I wonder if we could, possibly with
>>> additional means to prevent it from showing up on work and
>>> expression...
>> <physDesc> was a convenient place to locate <provenance> since in
>> library land, as Joachim confirms, "provenance> often has clear
>> connections with <physDesc> because stamps and librarian's or
>> auctioneer's entries are often mentioned in this context."  But
>> there's no reason why it should remain there if there's a compelling
>> reason to move it.
>>
>> We could move <provenance> up a level into <item> itself rather than
>> placing it inside <history> and then making <history> available
>> inside <item>.  Taking this approach would put <provenance> where it
>> needs to be (on <item>) and not everywhere <history> can occur; that
>> <history> there too).  It also maintains separation between the
>> history of "handing down" (quoting Joachim) of the item and the
>> production history of the item, which is the proper content for

>>> pdr4h (at) virginia (dot) edu