[MEI-L] Grouping of <app>s

Kőmíves Zoltán zolaemil at gmail.com
Sun Jan 5 12:43:02 CET 2014

Hello All and Happy New Year,

There's been a discussion about how to group together <app> elements in the
past (
http://list-archives.org/2012/07/15/mei-l-lists-uni-paderborn-de/more-precise-app-s/f/7456812281and
http://list-archives.org/2012/07/23/mei-l-lists-uni-paderborn-de/antw-more-precise-app-s/f/3141983676)
and I'd like to follow up a bit on the topic. I understand there's been a
number of suggestions, one of the last ones being:

<app xml:id="a1"/>
<app xml:id="a2"/>
<annot plist="#a1 #a2" type="appGrp"/>

This seems a very suitable solution to the problem, but here's my question.
With this practice it's possible to define overlapping groupings:

<app xml:id="a1"/>
<app xml:id="a2"/>
<app xml:id="a3"/>
<annot plist="#a1 #a2" type="appGrp"/>
<annot plist="#a2 #a3" type="appGrp"/>

I might be shortsighted, but I cannot think of a much meaningful use case
for this scenario. Do you think such encoding should be
forbidden/discouraged? Or perhaps someone can pinpoint a meaningful use
case?

Thanks
Zoltan