[MEI-L] thru barlines [WAS: bracketing]

Roland, Perry (pdr4h) pdr4h at eservices.virginia.edu
Tue Dec 17 06:35:07 CET 2013

Hi Eleanor & Andrew,

In addition to @barthru, there are other attributes that contribute to the specification of bar lines -- @barplace and @taktplace.  These attributes work together (they sort of "cascade") to fully describe the various combinations of bar line properties.

@barplace takes the values "staff", "mensur", and "takt".  This attribute determines the general placement of bar lines.  There's no explicit default, but CMN assumes the "staff" value.  That is, bar lines are drawn across the staves.  More about this in a moment.

A value of "mensur" (abbreviation of "Mensurstriche") indicates that the bar lines are drawn *between the staves*; that is, as Eleanor described, from the bottom line of one staff to the top line of the one below.  For example, a system of 4 staves will have bar lines between staves 1 and 2, between staves 2 and 3, and between staves 3 and 4.  Currently, these attributes are available only on <scoreDef>, <measure>, and <barLine>.  So, there's no method for specifying mensuration bar lines for a subset of adjacent staves.  However, I think this can be accomplished by allowing @barplace and @taktplace on<staffGrp>.  An argument could even be made that they should be moved from <scoreDef> to <staffGrp>.

As you might expect, @taktplace is only useful when @barplace = 'takt'.  @taktplace takes a value between 0 and 2 times the number of staff lines.  On a 5-line staff, the value '1' indicates a "tick mark" through the bottom line, '9' a mark through the top line.

Typically, the so-called "takt" bar line is drawn at the same place for each measure and in all the staves, but when it's not, @barline can be explicitly set on each <measure> or <barLine> element.  I'll skip the detailed explanation of the use of <barLine> for now, but it should be used in mensural notation (instead of <measure>), even if the bar lines "line up" across all the staves.

Returning to CMN, @barthru  assumes a value of 'staff' for @barplace and adds information about which staves are crossed by the bar lines.  Any other value of @barplace makes @barthru meaningless.  Said the other way around, @barthru precludes any value for @barplace except 'staff', so @barplace isn't necessary in the presence of @barthru.  That's why I haven't mentioned it before in the discussion of CMN bar lines and staff groups.

Since they can occur on <measure> and <barLine>, these attributes are independent of the initial connecting line and grouping symbol given on <scoreDef>, so it's possible to group a set of 4 staves, record that there is an initial connecting line and brace, and still indicate Mensurstriche bar lines for the remainder of the notation --

<scoreDef barplace="mensur">
  <staffGrp symbol="bracket" initialline="true">
    <staffDef n="1" clef.shape="G" clef.line="2"/>
    <staffDef n="2" clef.shape="G" clef.line="2"/>
    <staffDef n="3" clef.shape="G" clef.line="2"/>
    <staffDef n="4" clef.shape="F" clef.line="4"/>
  </staffGrp>
</scoreDef>

Sorry for the long-winded response, but I thought some folks here might want the (more or less) complete picture.

12:30am, must ... sleep ... now,

Perry Roland
Music Library
University of Virginia