[MEI-L] ...brackets in orchestral scores: Finale shapes, etc.

Eleanor Selfridge-Field esfield at stanford.edu
Tue Dec 17 02:15:33 CET 2013

Thinking about Perry's latest view prompts me to ask a question that may
be redundant.  In our typesetting we assume a relationship between these
much discussed staff groups and the implications for barring throughout a
score.  Some vertical lines in staff groups are continuous from top to
bottom of a system, but some (especially for things like obbligato
instruments or a chorus in a mainly orchestral work) may not be.  Do these
various nesting schemes have any "generative" implications for how to
coding continues?

Barring systems vary somewhat by publisher and national tradition.  Some
publishers do not continue what I'll call "measure bars" (running unbroken
from top to bottom of a system) across all systems, but the ways in which
they are broken up is somewhat variable and may depend also on the complex
of instruments/voices in force.

Then there are Mensurstriche (editions of Renaissance music), where the
barlines never cross a clef but instead run from the bottom line of one
clef to the top line of one underneath.  This is not usually detectable
from the presentation of the initial staff group.

I realize that all these points fall outside the emphasis on source
description, but they are real and frequent issues in getting from most
encoding systems to something useable.  On the other hand, anyone using
MEI to make a new edition may be guided by publishers' requirements
irrespective of the source coding.

Eleanor

Eleanor Selfridge-Field
Consulting Professor, Music (and, by courtesy, Symbolic Systems)
Braun Music Center #129
Stanford University
Stanford, CA 94305-3076, USA
http://www.stanford.edu/~esfield/  +1/ 650 725-9242