[MEI-L] StaffGrp

Johannes Kepper kepper at edirom.de
Tue Dec 10 15:16:28 CET 2013

Hi Laurent,

thanks for raising this issue. Please keep in mind that we have the possibility of changing the samples when they don't match the recommendations. I'm pretty confident that there are lots of subtle issues hidden both in the spec and in the samples, and we will have to address them whenever we spot one.

In this situation, I guess I have a slight preference for the additional attribute value, since logically (whatever that means) there is only one group of staves, denoted by both a line and a brace. Other opinions?

Johannes

Am 10.12.2013 um 15:09 schrieb Laurent Pugin <laurent at music.mcgill.ca>:

> I was wondering what to expect with the examples where we have only one level with @symbol=brace. As you are saying, this seems ambiguous because I am pretty sure we would expect this to represent a brace and a line. So the proposal of braceWithLine is to eliminate the ambiguity if we don't want to have two levels. I am fine with two levels too.
>
> Laurent
>

> On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 2:45 PM, Andrew Hankinson <andrew.hankinson at mail.mcgill.ca> wrote:
> Hi Laurent,
>
> If you have an inner group with @symbol=line and an outer one with @symbol=brace it’s pretty unambiguous. Are you thinking braceWithLine just to eliminate one level of hierarchy?
>
> -Andrew
>
> On Dec 10, 2013, at 8:25 AM, Laurent Pugin <lxpugin at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have question regarding the @symbol in staffGrp with the value "brace" (or "bracket"). Does it implies a line to be rendered as well or not?
>>
>> In the examples given in the documentation, most cases with a brace containing all staves, there is usually one single staffGrp (with symbol="brace"), whereas with orchestral score, we usually have one staffGrp with symbol="line" and then sub staffGrps with symbol="brace".
>>
>> http://www.music-encoding.org/sampleCollection/encodings/Ahle_Jesu_meines_Herzens_Freud.pdf
>> http://www.music-encoding.org/sampleCollection/encodings/Ahle_Jesu_meines_Herzens_Freud.xml
>>
>> http://www.music-encoding.org/sampleCollection/encodings/Hummel_Concerto_for_trumpet.pdf
>> http://www.music-encoding.org/sampleCollection/encodings/Hummel_Concerto_for_trumpet.xml
>>
>> How can we clarify this? Should we allow something like "braceWithLine" as possible value?
>>
>> Best,
>> Laurent

Dr. Johannes Kepper
BMBF-Projekt "Freischütz Digital"

Musikwiss. Seminar Detmold / Paderborn
Gartenstraße 20
32756 Detmold

Tel. +49 5231 975669
Mail: kepper at edirom.de

Dateiname   : signature.asc
Dateityp    : application/pgp-signature
Dateigr??e  : 496 bytes
Beschreibung: Message signed with OpenPGP using GPGMail
URL         : <http://lists.uni-paderborn.de/pipermail/mei-l/attachments/20131210/439b5c7d/attachment.sig>