[MEI-L] Page-based encoding

Eleanor Selfridge-Field esfield at stanford.edu
Tue Nov 5 03:14:06 CET 2013

Reading this discussion caused me inadvertently to think of a few
repertories that might be flipped in other ways:

1.       Benedetto Marcello psalm settings based on music from Hebrew
liturgy.  He attempted to render the music right to left.  As you can see,
a  modern rendering introduces lots of complexity to the process of
character formation.

2.       Calvinist psalters used in Turkey (current research by a young
German colleague), where the nature of the text has features similar to,
but not exactly the same as, those in Marcello, such as text underlay in
Turkish script.

Granted MEI is not likely to be called upon to deal with these kinds of
cases in the foreseeable future, but since flippability is under
discussion, it may be worth thinking about the general issue of
extensibility at every tier-notes, lyrics, staff, system.

Best regards,

Eleanor

Eleanor Selfridge-Field
Consulting Professor, Music (and, by courtesy, Symbolic Systems)
Braun Music Center #129
Stanford University
Stanford, CA 94305-3076, USA
http://www.stanford.edu/~esfield/  +1/ 650 725-9242