[MEI-L] Standards (was: File extensions)

Laurent Pugin laurent at music.mcgill.ca
Tue Aug 20 10:36:28 CEST 2013

One more remark: I can perfectly see the drawback of seeing MEI becoming a
standard if this can make it loose some of its flexibility in its
development. However, I am pretty sure we all aim at seeing MEI becoming as
stable as possible. When developing tools, be they commercial or scholarly,
changes in the specifications create extra work. In a way, making well
organized and versioned releases as we do now is a way of standardizing it.
And we certainly hope to see the frequency of the versions to be as low as
possible. Versioning with a standard is also possible, isn't 'it? So to me,
the question is more to see if we can find a standardization path or
structure that do not create overhead that we can not afford.

Best,
Laurent