[MEI-L] halfmRpt and @rend

TW zupftom at googlemail.com
Mon Aug 12 20:37:17 CEST 2013

This is interesting, we were about to bring up a similar problem with
the Corpus monodicum encoding.  In my understanding, @altsym was meant
to provide rendering information, not to describe the appearance of a
source.  But, as I understand it, the suggested use of @altsym for the
Freischütz would first and foremost encode the symbol found in the
source.

That's very similar to some requirements we have for Corpus monodicum,
where editors want to encode certain symbols that scribes are using in
the source (specifically: different variants of symbols with the same
melodic meaning).

Currently, we do this with annotations.  However, we would like to
also encode a table of all those variants that are used.  In the
printed edition, tables like this will be included and it would be
sensible to also encode them in MEI.  <symbolTable> would come close
to our requirements.  However, rather than artificially recreating
them with the vector elements available inside <symbol>, we'd want to
provide a scanned instance of each symbol.

We have two suggestions to make:

1) Introduce another attribute that would serve as a complement to
@altsym, but is intended for specifying that a certain symbol was used
in the source.  This pair would work exactly like the @style/@rend
pair, one being for describing what's found, one indicating how it
should be rendered.

2) Officially make <symbolTable> multi-purpose (or introduce a similar
structure, which however I don't favour).  We'd need to provide a
facsimile snippet with something like <graphic>.  Either this should
be allowed inside <symbolDef>, or we should be able to use the @facs
mechanism, although this wouldn't be preferable in our case as we
don't provide facsimiles