[MEI-L] typable events

Roland, Perry (pdr4h) pdr4h at eservices.virginia.edu
Wed Aug 7 23:29:42 CEST 2013

Hi everyone,

Sorry for joining the conversation late.  I'm at the Balisage conference in Montreal where MEI appears to be already known and appreciated by several participants.  Hooray!

The lack of the att.typed class on members of model.event was a deliberate choice.  The intention was to head off abuse of @type and @subtype.  My statements about using these attributes only to classify the element and not its contents, while not strictly enforceable, were also intended to get users to think about the problems that casual use of these attributes has the potential to cause.

Where appropriate elements and attributes are already available, such as <supplied> for Johannes' example, they should be used, of course.  If, after careful analysis, it's determined that extension is necessary, I'd recommend, in descending order of desirability,  1) additional elements and/or attributes in a private namespace, then 2) @type and @subtype.  Formal customization should be considered first since it is fairly easy to accomplish with ODD & Roma and it gives you the opportunity to make your intention absolutely clear -- with beautiful, well-written documentation.  :-)

Addressing Thomas' suggestion, it's not technically difficult to globally allow the use of attributes and elements from an unknown namespace in RNG, but I can't say with confidence whether/how that can be accomplished in ODD.  I agree with Thomas' final comment, however, that allowing such additions subverts the use of formal customization for extension.  I'm reluctant to open that particular door.

Perry Roland
Music Library
University of Virginia
P. O. Box 400175