[MEI-L] Lyrics: Extender lines

Eleanor Selfridge-Field esfield at stanford.edu
Mon Jul 1 20:01:52 CEST 2013

Extender types, referring only to music, not to MEI:

1. There are two kinds, the difference being contextual.

2. BUT there is some variation in publishers' house styles.  There may also be some variables related to the language of the lyrics.

At CCARH (main languages being Itlain and German), we use the extended underscore for words at the end of a text line, where the extension is likely to accommodate only one additional note.  If a syllable in the middle of a text line has a melisma, we use a series of hyphens.

One the things that varies with house style is where these types are complemented by phrase marks in the music itself.

French text underlay is problematic in that the number of syllables as sung may be greater than the number normally heard in speech.

Eleanor Selfridge-Field

xmlns:w="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word"
xmlns:m="http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml"
xmlns="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40">

/* Style Definitions */p.MsoNormal, p.MsoAutoSig, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal	{margin:0cm; margin-bottom:.0001pt;}@page WordSection1	{size:612.0pt 792.0pt;	margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt;	mso-header-margin:36.0pt;	mso-footer-margin:36.0pt;	mso-paper-source:0;}div.WordSection1	{page:WordSection1;}

Eleanor Selfridge-Field

Consulting Professor, Music (and, by courtesy, Symbolic Systems)

Braun Music Center #129

Stanford University

Stanford, CA 94305-3076, USA

http://www.stanford.edu/~esfield/