[MEI-L] Conventional encoding of suggested accidentals (ficta)?

Johannes Kepper kepper at edirom.de
Fri Jun 21 22:58:55 CEST 2013

Hi Guiliano and Micah,

@accid.ges is frequently used to make an accidental specified by the key signature explicit for individual notes. In F-maj, you wouldn't use @accid="f" on every b, but adding @accid.ges="f" for every b makes processing much easier. @accid.ges denotes an accidental that is audible, but not visible. However, the absence of the attribute doesn't mean that the b should be played as natural in F-maj. So in most cases, it is just a convenience, but the attribute can be very handy when it comes to specifying the range of written accidentals, which doesn't necessarily end at the barline in certain repertoires.

Regarding the original question, there are more valid answers. My first take would be to keep it as simple as possible. Obviously, the @accid attribute doesn't allow any additional markup to specify it's function. The next best solution is to use the <accid> child of <note>. Besides an @accid attribute, it also has @func (allowed values: 'edit' or 'caution') and @place. Your example could be encoded like so:

<note pname="g" oct="4" dur="2">
	<accid accid="s" func="edit" place="above"/>
</note>

Hope this helps,
Johannes