[MEI-L] "When" element pointing

Johannes Kepper kepper at edirom.de
Wed May 29 08:37:53 CEST 2013

Am 28.05.2013 um 22:48 schrieb Andrew Hankinson:

> Hi all,
>
> First, it was great to see everyone in Mainz. Thanks for a wonderful conference.

wearing the organizer hat, I'd like to say that we are quite happy with it as well. It wouldn't have been possible without the great help of many, both from the Academy (Anna, Frau Biersch, Frau Buschmeier, Herr Krings, many others I don't even know the names of), and our Detmold team (Maja, Kristina, Anna). Thanks to you very very much indeed!

> Now, back to the business at hand: I was chatting with someone about the linking and alignment of audio and video files with a  score. What they're interested in is taking multiple recordings and linking them up to a very sparse score representation (measures or even just sections).
>
> Looking at how the <when> and @when system works, it doesn't look like this is currently possible; that is, it's possible to point from a score element to a single point on a timeline, but it's not possible to point from a time point to an element in the score. By using @when on a score-level element (measure, note, etc.) you're "polluting" the score representation with its location in a single timeline, rather than having the ability to, in multiple recordings, refer to the same score-level element at different time points.

Switching to the modelling hat, I would suggest to use a different approach: Have you considered something like

<performance>
	<recording>
		<avFile target="someAudio.mp3"/>
		<clip begin="00:03:12.25" end="00:03:15.64" startid="#measure1"/>
		<clip begin="00:03:15.64" end="00:03:17.12" startid="#measure2"/>
		<clip begin="00:03:17.12" end="00:03:19.87" startid="#measure3"/>
	</recording>
	<recording>
		<avFile target="someVideo.ogv"/>
		<clip/>
	</recording>
</performance>

This follows the model of facsimile and does not pollute the music tree.

> I don't think this would be too hard to add so I will volunteer to actually do the coding, but I would first like to hear if anyone has any objections or suggestions.

I think the distinction between the <timeline> / @when approach and <performance> is not clear enough – even I can't recall it right now without reading my way through the guidelines. Isn't it great to spot new work after a release is done? ;-)

Best,
Jo