[MEI-L] Order of Guidelines chapters

Johannes Kepper kepper at edirom.de
Fri May 10 23:19:51 CEST 2013

Dear list,

while preparing the documentation for the upcoming release of MEI, we stumbled upon an issue where we would like to get some feedback from the community.

The next release release includes a new module in MEI (FRBR…), and we wondered about the preferences for ordering. It would make a lot of sense to put the new chapter next to the existing header chapter, but as all chapters are automatically numbered, this would result in different chapter numbers for almost the complete Guidelines of the new release, compared to the 2012 release. My question is: Do you prefer

a) to keep existing chapter numbers whenever possible, or

b) to have chapters organized by their relationship, ignoring changing numbers?

Technically, it is not a big deal to implement it either way. I have a slight preference for b), but am open to arguments from both sides. There isn't much time left for discussion, so if you have strong opinions, please respond before Monday.

Best,
Johannes