[MEI-L] Encoding elisions

TW zupftom at googlemail.com
Fri Apr 26 23:01:03 CEST 2013

Dear MEI family,

for Corpus monodicum, we need to encode situations where a scribe
notates only the beginning and sometimes also the end of a chant
section.  Those are kind of cues and the scribe assumes the singer
knows how to continue.  It's really similar to when only the first
words of a refrain are printed between verses.

I think <gap> is the appropriate thing to use, like:

  <syllable>
    <syl>Sex</syl>
  </syllable>
  <syllable>
    <syl>bomb</syl>
  </syllable>

  <gap reason="cue"/>

  <!-- Sometimes we also have this following the gap: -->
  <syllable>
    <syl>turn</syl>
  </syllable>
  <syllable>
    <syl>me</syl>
  </syllable>
  <syllable>
    <syl>on.</syl>
  </syllable>

(Yes, Corpus monodicum also transcribes a few love songs.)

Any objections to this structure?  For some reason I don't feel 100%
confident that this is what the <gap> element was made for.

Thomas