[MEI-L] Time representation in MEI and EDTF

Byrd, Donald A. donbyrd at indiana.edu
Tue Feb 26 04:22:10 CET 2013

All--

I've been thinking a lot recently about representing time in extremely
general ways, and I've gotten involved in discussion of EDTF, an
"Extended Data Time Format" under development by the bibliographic
community (http://www.loc.gov/standards/datetime/). In many ways, EDTF
is "extended" compared to, say, ISO 8601, but the current draft is
actually more limited in at least one important way: its maximum
precision is a second, while both 8601 and XSD allow seconds with
several -- quite possibly an unlimited number of -- decimal places.

I'm telling you this because I'd like to see a musicologist or two
involved in the EDTF discussion. Furthermore, I'd like to see support
for seconds with multiple decimal places added to EDTF, and the EDTF
coordinator at the Library of Congress seems willing to add it _if_
someone gives him a realistic use case. I'm not sure I have a realistic
bibliographic use case, but I'll bet some of you do!

Also, a side question. The MEI docs keep referring to "standard ISO
form" for dates and times. What is "standard ISO form"? I can't find an
explanation. Does that mean ISO 8601?

--Don

--
Donald Byrd