[MEI-L] Encoding of personal names

Benjamin Wolff Bohl bohl at edirom.de
Fri Feb 8 09:46:42 CET 2013

On a scond try of replying to this mail...

1) Thank you Perry for the code examples, these brought me back of not
only thinking about the elements but also to consider the context in
which they appear.

2) Of course in an ideal world, we would model a perfet way of coping
with all this and get MOD and MARC and whichever scheme exist to conform
with us ;-). But all these standards exist and are being used so not
standing in the way of certain ones when trying to convert from or to
MEI is very important. After all, we want MEI to spread.

3) <respStmt> should definitely be allowed in <bibl>

4) Although being yet another poblem, the person-vs-persName problem
Johannes mentioned is at the brink of bothering us. Seein <date> as
child of <persName> makes me feel uncomfortable. I'd prefer:

<composer><persName>Beethoven, Ludwig

The date is not part of the person's name, although it's additional info
for identifying purposes etc.
Then again, this is not possible within <respStmt> which should be an
alternative for <composer>. Even if I was allowed to put <date> in
<respStmt> I'd expect this date to be associated with the
responsibility, not the person.

<respStmt>
   <resp>composed by<resp>
   <persName>Beethoven, Ludwig van<persName>
   <date>1811-1812</date><!-- being the years in which LvB composed the
7th -->
</respStmt>

similar to <pubStmt>!
But <composer> would not be able to hold this date of composition. Thus
the benefit of explicitly marking a <composer> would deprive me of the
possibilities to add additional data concerning the composition process.
Now if I understand the needs of librarians right you would try to put
in as much of the metadata as you can find on your item and if there's
Beethoven's dates of birth and death you put them in the "author"
(composer) field. But why? Are these dates part of the name for
identifying purposes? Or is it the intention of "transcribing" all the
metadata supplied by the "source" itself?

5) I think we should dissalow multiple <resp>s in the same <respStmt> or
is there any other grouping mechanism for the children of <respStmt>
other than xml-order? Making it more feasible to process.

6) Still an open question for me is the @code on <resp> which is not
allowed in the current mei-all.rng in trunk (or at least not in my
working copy). Neither could I find an issue on google code referring to
it. Did I miss anything?
It's definitely good to have such an attribute (as e.g. in
<instrVoice>), but does this attribute by any means correlate with
@authority and @authURI (which I had expected so far but Perry if I got
him right discouraged such attribute-correlation).

cheers,
benni