[MEI-L] Encoding of personal names

Benjamin Wolff Bohl bohl at edirom.de
Thu Feb 7 09:36:39 CET 2013

Hi Kristina and List:eners!
In the past few months I've been dealing with the idea of capuring the
metadata of published records in MEI and to start out I decided for the
harest part ;-) A recording was made publicized and later re-issued on a
differnet sound carrier, additional work done by technicians and
additional text parts completed this re-issue.
As you might imagine, I came across quite a lot of responsibility
statements and I find it very convnient to stitch to the MARC code list
for Relators.
Thus I can understand Perry's idea and might even support to

> 1. return to the list provided by TEI -- author, editor, funder,
> meeting, principal (as in principal investigator), sponsor, and respStmt,
>
> 2. but drop meeting and principal, and
>
> 3. add arranger, composer, librettist, and lyricist.

> <lyricist> for musical compositions are equivalent to <author> for
> textual material.  The <author> element *should not* be used for
> lyricists or librettists.

Though making a decision here always weans to draw a line. But where to
draw the line?
Arranger could still be dropped as his activity might be secondary or
even tertiary use of the work.

Then on the other hand when moving forward in the publication process
more and more persons fill different and nevertheless very important
roles. For example, when talking modern times an editor has extensive
influence on the gestalt of the publicized/published work. And another
very important role is that of the engraver (or typesetter however to
call the function in digital times). Now going this road a bit we are
very fast to come across someone being the encoder, as depending on
workflow and technologies used, encoding and setting the music might
overlap at some point.

And for me this is an essential question that can be drawn from
Kristina's post. Oe could even discuss of putting the encoder as
<author> or <editor> in <fileDesc> as <fileDesc> is not about the music
but about the encoded data (although opening another question with
this...). And this is where the encoder has primary and extensive
influence. And, if I'm not mistaken, there is no MARC code for this!
**Thus I would propose of having such an element to compensate this!**

Another thing that has come to me - opening yet another bottle - is the
encoding that Perry's second example shows, as I came across this in my
metadata.

> titleStmt>
>   <title>My Music, Op. 1</title>
>   <respStmt>
>
>     <resp>Composer</resp>
>
>     <persName>Composer de Jure</persName>
>
>     <resp>Lyricist</resp>
>
>     <persName>Johann Collaborator Bach</persName>
>
>     <resp>Arranger</resp>
>
>     <persName>Arranger Man</persName>
>     <resp>Encoders</resp>
>     <persName>[encoder 1]</persName>
>     <persName>[encoder 2]</persName>
>   </respStmt>
> </titleStmt>

Although straightforward the content of <respStmt> leaves me with a
shudder, as no explicit mapping of <resp> and <persName> is to be
observed. I would very much prefer to see something like this:

   <respStmt>

     <resp>Composer</resp>

     <persName>Composer de Jure</persName>

   </respStmt>

   <respStmt>
     <resp>Lyricist</resp>

     <persName>Johann Collaborator Bach</persName>

   </respStmt>

   <respStmt>

     <resp>Arranger</resp>

     <persName>Arranger Man</persName>

   </respStmt>

   <respStmt>

     <resp>Encoders</resp>
     <persName>[encoder 1]</persName>
     <persName>[encoder 2]</persName>
   </respStmt>

Adding some MARC relator code either in @role on <persName> or in <resp>
with the corresponding @authURI would be helpful since providing a
mapping to a controlled vocabulary. Although even here the setup could
be discussed:

1) Why to supply <resp> if I can provide @role and @authURI on <persName>?

   <respStmt>

     <persName role="cmp" authUri="...MARC...">Composer de Jure</persName>

     <persName role="lyr" authUri="...MARC...">Johann Collaborator
Bach</persName>

   </respStmt>

2) How to supply the laguage-specific role description that Eleanor
pointed out in the discussion?
Is <resp> the right place?

<respStmt>

     <resp>Komponist</resp>

     <persName>Composer de Jure</persName>

   </respStmt>

Apparently not, as it only may have attributes to relate the included
string to a controlled vocabulary.
maybe:

<respStmt label="Komponist">
</...>

This would make necessary a <respStmt> for each role to be supplied.
Which even is a good idea to group multiple names (as seen in preceeding
examples by Kristina and Perry ).
The again this would miss someting like @xml:lang which could allowed on
<resp> if used for a label.

Then if detailed description is not of primary interest, one could come
up with a flat hierarchy:

   <respStmt>

     <persName role="cmp" authUri="...MARC...">Composer de Jure</persName>

     <persName role="lyr" authUri="...MARC...">Johann Collaborator
Bach</persName>

   </respStmt>

or:

<respStmt>

     <resp xml:lang="de_DE">Komponist</resp>

     <persName>Composer de Jure</persName>

   </respStmt>

That's it for now. Sorry for getting lengthy and raising even more
questions.
As I'm no metadata expert I see that at some points I might have been
too focused on transcription instead of metadata, please excuse ;-)
In expectation of a nice discussion,

Benjamin