[MEI-L] physLoc

Andrew Hankinson andrew.hankinson at mail.mcgill.ca
Fri Dec 7 18:10:41 CET 2012

I admit that I'm at a disadvantage, since I couldn't make it to the last developers call, but I feel I must push the need for *some* backwards compatibility fairly strongly. Whether that's a first-or-second digit release is somewhat irrelevant, since breaking compatibility is a pain, no matter what we call it. I don't think breaking compatibility whenever we need to form "a more perfect spec" is a sustainable way forward.

This could mean something like ensuring we have a stylesheet in place when a compatibility-breaking version is released to transform older versions to newer versions, but I feel very strongly that if we're to gain some traction we cannot always present a moving target to the folks that are implementing MEI.

Here's a modest proposal:

 -- New compatibility-breaking changes are placed in an ODD customization somewhere (perhaps the incubator).
 -- Those who are seeking to have those customizations rolled into "core" must also supply an XSLT to transform documents in the current version to their proposed version.

In my opinion, MusicXML goes too far in maintaining backwards-compatiblity at the expense of more sane or robust methods of representation, but I'd not like to see us adopt an opposite, but just as absolute, practice.

-Andrew

On 2012-12-07, at 11:02 AM, "Roland, Perry (pdr4h)" <pdr4h at eservices.virginia.edu>