[MEI-L] physLoc

Axel Teich Geertinger atge at kb.dk
Fri Dec 7 09:46:54 CET 2012

Hi all

I think this discussion illustrates a problem of the non-FRBR approach to encoding source information: Whithout the distinction between features common to all copies (items) and the individual items, we are in trouble when <source> is used to describe more than one copy (item). This is true not only for physLoc, but for physDesc as well, because there may be some shared features (number of pages, for instance) and indvidual ones (binding, for instance). How would that information be organized without the FRBR <item> level?

Perhaps <physLoc> should not even be allowed in <source> at all when using the bibl customization (and thus standard MEI, later?). Restricting it to <item> would make it clear that <physLoc> - and <provenance>, whether within or outside <physLoc> - refers to this particular item or item component. The schema actually allows only one <physLoc> per item (or item component). I think thats keeps us clear of all the ambiguities we have in <source> now. Actually, having multiple <physLoc> in <source> is really a sort of alternative implementation a FRBR <itemList>, but a very limited one, isn't it? I believe the FRBR approach is the more consistent and more useful one.

Backwards compatibility... well, compatibility to MEI 2010 was severely broken already with v. 2.0.0, and I doubt anyone has adapted the 2012 <source> encoding yet. I don't think that should be the reason for not changing anything.

Best,
Axel