[MEI-L] bibliographic customization (FRBR)

Roland, Perry (pdr4h) pdr4h at eservices.virginia.edu
Tue Nov 20 22:45:55 CET 2012

Hello, all,

Attached to this message you'll find a .zip file containing 3 items:

- mei-Bibl ODD customization file
- mei-Bibl customized RNG file
- tei_odds schema for validating the ODD file

Even though up to this point we've been thinking and talking about this as a "FRBR module", I've called this customization "mei-Bibl" because it is more than just the addition of FRBR support -- it also affects other bibliographic parts of MEI, such as the bibliographic references, the physical description of sources, and bibliographic description of the MEI file itself.  However, if, as expected, this customization is rolled into "out-of-the-box" MEI, a FRBR module will be created.

When the MEI.frbr module is *not* turned on, works and sources can be described just as they were before; that is, with bibliographic description mostly taking place within <source>.  Turning on the FRBR module, however, makes it possible to separate work-, expression-, manifestation/source-, and item-level description into discrete chunks and to relate those chunks of metadata to each other.

The mei-Bibl ODD file can also be found in the MEI Incubator at http://code.google.com/p/mei-incubator/.

Suggestions for improvement are welcome.

Best wishes,

Perry Roland
Music Library
University of Virginia