[MEI-L] FRBR in MEI: performances vs. recordings

Byrd, Donald A. donbyrd at indiana.edu
Tue Nov 20 17:10:48 CET 2012

One more thing about the relationship between performances and
recordings that might clarify why FRBR considers the former an
expression and the latter a manifestation. The difference between the
two can go way beyond merely re-releasing a recording in digital form
that was originally on vinyl. That's  especially true outside of the
classical music world. For example, I believe the Grateful Dead were
famous for not discouraging people from making their own recordings of
their concerts, and I think there are some of their performances for
which dozens, maybe hundreds, of recordings exist -- all done from
different locations with different equipment, and probably many of them
containing just parts of the concert! And some early jazz sessions were
recorded with two microphones in different positions, which were
originally thought of just as two slightly different mono recordings,
but making possible after-the-fact stereo.

--Don