[MEI-L] FRBR in MEI

Johannes Kepper kepper at edirom.de
Tue Nov 20 08:34:22 CET 2012

Hi Axel,

I totally agree with Perry. These are project-specific decisions about how to use FRBR and MEI in general. We don't want to enforce a specific model here, but leave the implementation open to a certain degree. The current proposal allows to do so, and also has the benefit that shortcuts like yours (performances in an eventList) are still comprehensible enough to be compatible to more specific projects (using XSLT). I think we shouldn't water the concept of FRBR just because we can't come up with better examples right away. Others may, and they couldn't use it in such a way. FRBR itself gives the user some freedom in deciding what constitutes a new version, and if that is modeled as expression or manifestation. We should preserve that in our implementation.

Axel, you're certainly aware of this, but your model (performances in expression's eventList) requires that every performance is based on exactly one textual version / expression of the work. As soon as more than one set of source materials has been used, this assumption is incorrect. Also, dealing with opera might be cumbersome. If you think of a performance for which you don't have or don't know the used materials, it's hard to assign that to one of your known expressions. Especially since operas have been customized quite heftily, each performance may justify a textual expression, even if the source materials haven't been preserved. I don't have answers to these questions right away, but it might be worthwhile to think about them or at least be aware of them when implementing merMEId. For me, it would probably be sufficient to mention that in the documentation, and leave the software unchanged.

These issues don't contradict with what I said before. They are project-specific, and they depend on a specific editorial concept, which others may or may not follow. Axel's solutions might be appropriate for some, and will certainly be inappropriate to others. But paired with thorough documentation, the data are still interchangeable across different projects.

Best,
Johannes