[MEI-L] Report from Technical Team Meeting

Benjamin Wolff Bohl bohl at edirom.de
Thu Nov 15 09:41:59 CET 2012

Der MEI-LIST:eners,
yesterday on 14 November 2012 the MEI Technical Team held it's
(quarterly) meeting.

REPORTS
For a beginning Craig Sapp (Standford) reported on his profitable
efforts extracting logical data from the SCORE format which will allow a
direct conversion to MEI (see also MEI-L Archive:
https://lists.uni-paderborn.de/pipermail/mei-l/2012/000671.html).
Moreover Axel T. Geertinger (Copenhagen) announced a release of MerMEId
and a open test installation for the end of this year or early next year.

RELEASES
A big issue on discussion were release stategies. Especially in the
light of recent discussions on the MEI-FRBR customization being
implemented in MerMEId and the layout-tree being implemented in Aruspix
- both of which should become part of official MEI. We decided on first
preparing a maintenance release (MEI v2.0.1) by the end of the year, and
second have another release incorporationg the FRBR-customization and
maybe the layout-tree-customization before the "Music Encoding
Conference 2013" (see below). In this context the version numbering
system of MEI has been rediscussed as to what kind of change (on schema
or guidelines) would increment which digit in the version-number. The
final coclusion was first digit (major changes: e.g. anything that
introduces new models new strucuture new version of ODD), second digit
(middling changes: more significant, probaby breaking) and third digit
(minor changes: mostly not breaking) and not restricting this to either
specifications or guidelines.

THE MUSIC ENCODING CONFERENCE 2013<http://www.music-encoding.org/conference>
the Music Encoding Conference 2013 -- Concepts, Methods, Editions, to be
held 22-24 May, 2013, at the Mainz Academy for Literature and Sciences
in Mainz, Germany.
For further details visit: http://www.music-encoding.org/conference
For the **CALL FOR ABSTRACTS** also see:
https://lists.uni-paderborn.de/pipermail/mei-l/2012/000704.html
Important dates:
31 December 2012: Deadline for abstract submissions
31 January 2013: Notification of acceptance/rejection of submissions
21-24 May 2013: Conference
31 July 2013: Deadline for submission of full papers for conference
proceedings
December 2013: Publication of conference proceedings

DISCUSSION STRATEGIES
Although we try to discuss MEI issues as openly as possible on MEI-L we
have a separate mei-developer mailing list, mainly tracking the issues
of the google code repository
(https://code.google.com/p/music-encoding/issues/list). Sometimes
discussion gets started there, which we apologize for. For the future we
agreed on moving the discussion to MEI-L as soon as possible.

FUTURE TEAM MEETINGS
The MEI Technical Team had originally agreed on holding quarterly
meetings. As preparation of the last release (including the first
version of the guidelines got hold of us) time went by and the meetings
almost got forgotten. Future meetings will be quarterly again, with the
next thus being around the mid of february 2013.
If anyone else wants to participate feel free to contact us.

If you have questions about this report and the past meeting we are
happy to answer them. In case the Council has no objections to our
proposals, we will proceed as described above.

With best wishes on behalf of the MEI Technical Team,
Benjamin W. Bohl