[MEI-L] Layout discussion

Eleanor Selfridge-Field esfield at stanford.edu
Sat Nov 10 04:35:46 CET 2012

I'm lurking too and pass on one practical issue: web browsers.  I've been
noticing recently that
Chrome has trouble resolving the printing parameters of attachments
received on A4 paper (it may be the reserve elsewhere).  Presumably some
intermediate software will always stand between MEI and any screen
display.

For me screen layout is the next question after page layout.  Instinct
tells me that separate semantic content from all layout and rending
questions is the better path.  The SCORE approach may be instructive: the
program uses virtual units to etablish the desire aspect ratio.  It also
has a virtual relationship to the physical page.  Note though that in the
music printing industry page sizes may not have the same aspect ratio as
those used with desktop printers.  (AT the AMS I had a discussion about
this with Douglas Woodfill-Harris from Bärenreiter.)

Eleanor

Eleanor Selfridge-Field
Consulting Professor, Music (and, by courtesy, Symbolic Systems)
Braun Music Center #129
Stanford University
Stanford, CA 94305-3076, USA
http://www.stanford.edu/~esfield/