[MEI-L] page sizes; multiple staff sizes; def. of point

Johannes Kepper kepper at edirom.de
Thu Nov 8 11:59:55 CET 2012

Hi Andrew,

I appreciate your input, and I agree that it's worth to discuss this. The problem I see is where to draw the line. Is this strictly restricted to margins, or does it affect the music as well? Can it make a rendering more dense, to fit into a specific device, or can it move system and page breaks as necessary? Can it be used to switch stem directions, or change clefs for convenience?

In New Orleans, Laurent, Perry and me had a brief discussion on the prospective layout tree, and that there are ways to mimic a whole lot of its functionality with existing MEI. We came to the conclusion that we might want to rethink the layout tree proposal, to better match the still missing portions. This would probably still go in the direction of a page-based approach to MEI, and maybe this fits well with what you suggested.

I'd suggest that we merge the two discussions. The only thing I wonder is if it is really of interest to whole MEI-L right now, or if we should come up with a proposal to MEI-L as soon as we have made up our minds first? Could some of the (most welcome!) lurkers on the list give some feedback on that? Would you like to follow a probably very intense discussion with lots of technical details, erroneous paths and changing minds, or would you prefer to get a summary in a couple of weeks? I would really like to get more traffic on MEI-L and discuss these things in the broadest public we have, but it might be somewhat distracting… In case we get no feedback from you out there, we will discuss this on this list, but eventually also during the virtual Technical Team meeting, which is scheduled for next Wednesday. If there's anybody interested in participating with that, please contact Perry or me beforehand to make sure you get the link…

Best,
Johannes