[MEI-L] <parts> within <incip>

Axel Teich Geertinger atge at kb.dk
Tue Nov 6 13:30:09 CET 2012

Hi Kristina

This may be a little premature, but if the breaking down of <work> into any number of (FRBR) <expression> pieces/components is going to be implemented in MEI at some point in about the same way we use it in MerMEId, you will be able to provide an incipit for each one of them. I actually think that is a better solution than using multiple <incip> at work level, because the work as a whole only has one beginning ;-)
This may not answer your question, though. If you are thinking about different representations of the same incipit, say one in full score and one in reduction, or one incipit for each part, I think it would be fair to keep them together in the same <incip>.
I don't know about <parts> within <incip>.

Best wishes,
Axel