[MEI-L] Search

Eleanor Selfridge-Field esfield at stanford.edu
Tue Nov 6 01:51:03 CET 2012

Why starstarhug for mei?

-----Original Message-----
From: mei-l-bounces at lists.uni-paderborn.de
[mailto:mei-l-bounces at lists.uni-paderborn.de] On Behalf Of Craig Sapp
Sent: Sunday, November 04, 2012 4:38 PM
To: Music Encoding Initiative
Subject: Re: [MEI-L] Search

Hi Johannes,

On Sun, Nov 4, 2012 at 3:49 PM, Johannes Kepper <kepper at edirom.de> wrote:

> I'm afraid that Paderborn's list server doesn't offer more than that. I
know that TEI-L is mirrored on some more accessible listservs. Basically
all mails are still served by the original list, but would also be
archived somewhere else. I don't know the software they use right now,
though. Maybe that's something we want to offer for MEI-L as well.
Opinions?

My opinion is that lists should be hosted by Google Groups.  In particular
this allows for a web interface to the posting which is searchable.  Here
is the one I set up for Humdrum a few years ago which has all postings
since the first one in July 2009:

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!forum/starstarhug

Google Groups allows many configurations such as public/private, allows
for joining by anyone or by invitation, allows posts to be moderated or
open.  For **HUG (Humdrum Users Group), I allow anyone to join.  New
members' posts are moderated, and when their first post is non-spam, I
promote them to a full unmoderated member.

I created an mei-l group:
    https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!forum/mei-l
which I can setup further if that is of interest (or this list could
perhaps subscribe to the Paderborn one which would in effect allow for
archiving and searchability of the current list).  The group can be posted
to online from that webpage, or via email from:
    starstarhug at googlegroups.com

-=+Craig