[MEI-L] page sizes

Andrew Hankinson andrew.hankinson at mail.mcgill.ca
Sat Nov 3 01:33:18 CET 2012

The concept of "physical" unit doesn't really translate well to editions that are meant for digital consumption only. If I have a page meant for a tablet or digital music stand display, what does the "inch" unit mean? Does it mean render it as a physical inch on the screen, regardless of how many pixels it takes to represent it? Or does it mean render it using a fixed number of pixels-per-inch, regardless of how large or small it makes it from one display to another. E-ink displays challenge this concept, since they don't really have pixels, and high-resolution displays also challenge it since the number of pixels it takes to represent a single physical unit can be completely different. So we'll probably need some sort of proportional unit so that we can say that the page margin is a percentage of the rendered display rather than a fixed unit of physical measurement.

I would suggest looking at the CSS3 documentation for how they deal with proportional and physical sizes, since they support both. Apparently their baseline unit is "ch", which is the width of the "0" when rendered in a given font. That seems to be a good analogue to the inter-staff space measurement.

Also relevant to this discussion, in case it was forgotten:

http://code.google.com/p/music-encoding/issues/detail?id=73

-Andrew

On 2012-11-02, at 7:19 PM, Johannes Kepper <kepper at edirom.de>