[MEI-L] Antw.: More "precise" <app>s

TW zupftom at googlemail.com
Sun Jul 29 07:13:45 CEST 2012

Hi Benjamin and all,

sorry for the late reply, I'm sort of on vacation.

2012/7/26 Benjamin Wolff Bohl <bohl at edirom.de>:
> Hi Johannes,
> thanks for elaborating. I am with you for most of it, although I don't see
> why @corresp should not be used? It's supposed to be used to point to
> elements corresponding to the current one in a "generic fashion" (whatever
> that be). Although from the "analytical" domain, I did not understand
> att.common.anl to be exclusively for music analysis (correct me if I'm
> wrong). I think analysis starts with examination of the subject matter.
> If I understood Thomas' original intention right (@Thomas please correct
> me), the idea was that on an early stage of encoding one might just like to
> mark correlation of two <app>s, then use a script to generate an apparatus,
> that would already have the correct @plist on its <annot>s.

No, that's not exactly my original idea.  I was thinking about how to
create a more classical synoptic visualization of the apparatus that
compares two or more segments.  In such a visualization I wouldn't
want to split a melodic line measure by measure, therefore the
suggestion to indicate the relationship in a more specific way.

Indeed an <annot> (maybe with @type="app") seems like a pretty good
way of dealing with this, also for examples where there's for example
only one note that differs and you want to put this note into a
minimal musically sensible context when creating the synoptic
comparison.  Then you could indicate what elements outside the <app>
should be included in the visualization.  If we one day get something
like an <appGroup>, then however it would be nicer and cleaner to
split this into a @plist for pointing to all the <app> elements and
maybe a @context attribute the indicates the smallest sensible musical
context.

Thomas