[MEI-L] More "precise" <app>s

TW zupftom at googlemail.com
Sun Jul 15 21:27:27 CEST 2012

Hi Raphaele,

2012/7/15 Raffaele Viglianti <raffaeleviglianti at gmail.com>:
> Though if I understand Thomas' issue correctly, he's also interested in
> encoding the fact that the two apps can form one apparatus entry.

Exactly.

> A use case for using @prev and @next would be to be able to generate the
> apparatus entry above from the encoding (I have seen this done in TEI).

Thanks for the hint.  I see that TEI's <app> (and also <choice>)
indeed have @next and @prev.  I think I'll create a feature request
issue.

And yes, I'm thinking about the automatic generation of apparatus
entries.  It would be messy to have things chopped up in multiple
entries that actually are logically one entry (like one entry for
measure 1 and a second one for measure two of the flute, although they
form one melodic phrase together).  It would be equally messy to get
one huge entry that contains a lot of "noise" (like a two measure
<app> that presents the whole orchestra, although only the flute
varies).

Wish you a good start into the week ahead
Thomas