[MEI-L] analysis

Roland, Perry (pdr4h) pdr4h at eservices.virginia.edu
Mon Apr 23 23:26:06 CEST 2012

Eleanor,

By using multiple <harm> elements, one can assign multiple harmonic labels, even the incorrect, printed ones you refer to.  Using @hfunc, however, (should we add it) one could assign only one.

I think the choice is up to the encoder.  There are many reasons why one would choose an attribute over an element or vice versa.  For some encoders, a simple file structure where only one label can be assigned and/or values can be easily contrained is important.  For others, in order to perform the kind of analysis you mention, multiple labels will be the way to go.

Neither path hinders further development.

Perry Roland
Music Library
University of Virginia
P. O. Box 400175