[MEI-L] physLoc & provenance

Johannes Kepper kepper at edirom.de
Thu Mar 29 15:38:25 CEST 2012

Hi Axel,

what you describe seems right and convincing, especially in the light of FRBR. I'm not sure if we can change it in the regular MEI model, though. The regular model is very open and has more or less the same content model for works and sources, which is obviously even without FRBR questionable. I wonder if we should really change this model, or instead tighten up our FRBR proposal. At some point, we will have to specify the models of works, expressions, sources (manifestations) and items anyway, so I think this could be another opportunity. If we can come up with a convincing model that works in this context, we can propose it for regular MEI as well (and who knows, maybe at some point 'regular' MEI will be a simplified FRBR-MEI?). Also, we have agreed that the current model won't be changed for the upcoming release anymore, so this couldn't be adopted before summer. At the same time, there is no such restriction for our FRBR-ODD, we may change it as often as necessary without worrying other's breaking software… So unless there is a consensus on this list that we should adopt your proposal in regular MEI as soon as possible, I would suggest to try it out in our own customization first. As soon as we have something debatable, we may re-present it here.

But as always, that's just my first impression…
Best regards,
Johannes