[MEI-L] symbol/symbolDef

Roland, Perry (pdr4h) pdr4h at eservices.virginia.edu
Tue Mar 20 17:04:12 CET 2012

Just to clarify:

The purpose behind the symbolDef/symbol pair is to encode *user-defined* shapes/signs/symbols so that they can be rendered.

This is distinctly different from classifying/identifying shapes/signs/symbols in a facsimile, which  can/should be handled using @facs on MEI elements.

Just a reminder:

Don't forget about @altsym which can be used to link an MEI element directly to a <symbolDef>.

Perry Roland