[MEI-L] <syl> inside <choice>

Roland, Perry (pdr4h) pdr4h at eservices.virginia.edu
Thu Mar 8 20:57:40 CET 2012

Hi, Thomas,

I just validated your examples against /trunk/schemata/mei-all.rng, which I believe reflects the proper behavior expressed in the current version of mei-source.

Because <choice> is a member of model.editLike, it is allowed in the content of <syl>.

<!-- syl content -->
<content>
  <rng:zeroOrMore>
    <rng:choice>
      <rng:text/>
      <rng:ref name="model.textphraseLike.limited"/>
      <rng:ref name="model.editLike"/>
      <rng:ref name="model.transcriptionLike"/>
    </rng:choice>
  </rng:zeroOrMore>
</content>

So, this should validate:

<syl>
  <choice>
    <orig><!-- English --></orig>
    <reg><!-- German --></orig>
  </choice>
</syl>

The following is (perhaps unfortuntely) also permitted

<syl>
  <orig/>
  <reg/>
</syl>

because <syl> also allows model.transcriptionLike members, one of which is <orig>, as do many elements that allow mixed content.

which indicates that the 'd' was added later.

The <orig> and <reg> elements come as part of the transcriptionLike class -- it's too hard to exclude them.

<choice>
  <orig>
    <syl>Ms.</syl>
  </orig>
  <reg>
    <syl>Miss</syl>
  </reg>
</choice>

can be expressed more succinctly as

<syl>
  <choice>
    <orig>Ms.</orig>
    <reg>Miss</reg>
  </choice>
</syl>

and, unlike some other things under discussion recently, in this case the decision was to allow only one way to do it.  (MEI, like most other things in the real world, is not completely self-consistent -- sue me.)

Unless the customization service is using an outdated/cached version of mei-source.xml, I can't say why you're getting different behavior.  Maybe this is a question for Daniel R.

Hope this helps,

Perry Roland
Music Library
University of Virginia