[MEI-L] trills within beams

Johannes Kepper kepper at edirom.de
Wed Mar 7 13:20:31 CET 2012

Slowly, calm down. I am on your side, I want to deprecate this. But we have agreed that the schema for the upcoming release is already frozen. There is a loose idea to have another release before the current DFG/NEH grant ends, which will be around late summer 2013. If we would deprecate (= technically allow, but discourage to use) it by then and kill it in the release following that, I think we would have a reasonable schedule. The only question is if we want to mention the future deprecation in the current guidelines or not ("@tie is likely to be deprecated in future releases of MEI" etc.). This seems like a doubled deprecation process to me, but would probably be more fair to everyone who's going to start encoding today. The remaining time could also help to have the applications we've been talking about in place.

Am 07.03.2012 um 12:29 schrieb Laurent Pugin:

> >I agree.  An "inputting environment" might want to offer the
> >convenience notation and extend them "automatically".  I don't know
> >whether this is a sensible suggestion, but what about moving
> >convenience features to a module of their own so they can easily be
> >enabled/disabled?  (Am I opening another can of worms?)
>
> This seems to be over the top for me. I think we should take a decision and I would vote for deprecating them. It does not have to be within 5 minutes, but the earlier the better (10 minutes?). Once we will have tools relying on them, we will have votes against deprecation, which does not seem to be the case now - actually, I already use them but would not mind shutting up if it can allow some simplification.
>
> Now for the trill, I my understanding correct that we would expect this encoding
>
> <trill>
>  <note />
>  <note />
>  <note />
> </trill>
>
> to be used for encoding the realization of the trill,

That's another issue that has been raised already internally (@Laurent, look for Perry's mail from 2011-07-07), but which was never responded. I think we will have to put that in a separate thread. I know that Perry is busy today, so I will try to sum it up to give us a good start in this discussion.

Best,
Johannes