[MEI-L] eventLike in bend, gliss, mordent, etc.

Roland, Perry (pdr4h) pdr4h at eservices.virginia.edu
Thu Mar 1 23:16:31 CET 2012

Hello all,

Please pardon the duplication if you get this message more than once.

Elements in the model.eventLike class --

barLine, beam, beatRpt, bend, bTrem, chord, clef, clefGrp, custos, fTrem, gliss, halfmRpt, ineume, keySig, ligature, mensur, mRest, mRpt, mRpt2, mSpace, multiRest, multiRpt, note, pad, proport, rest, space, tuplet, uneume

were allowed to occur in selected eventLike elements --

bend, gliss, mordent, trill, turn, note

in earlier versions of MEI that didn't yet have the ability to encode multiple readings.  Now that MEI does have <app> for dealing with multiple readings, having this "event within event" structure is redundant and confusing.  I think we need to kill off this dinosaur.

Since the next release of MEI has already been frozen with regard to the addition / deletion of features, I propose to add documentation that deprecates this feature even though it will technically be allowed.  Of course, in the next-next release this feature will be disabled.

Any objections?  Is anyone using this?  Going, going, ...

Best wishes,

Perry Roland
Music Library
University of Virginia