[MEI-L] @trans.diat and @trans.semi

Byrd, Donald A. donbyrd at indiana.edu
Sat Feb 25 21:38:03 CET 2012

Hi, everyone. To make a very long story very short, my change of
careers is at least temporarily on hold, and I again have time to think
about MEI etc.; beyond that, I can't say, though I've talked to Perry a
bit about how I might contribute to the MEI effort (by writing a full
notation editor?)... Anyway, I have a belated comment or two on this
issue. Please forgive me if I'm repeating what others said while I
wasn't paying attention, or if I'm just off track and this is
irrelevant!

My article "Written vs. Sounding Pitch", which is (or was!) in Workshop
Resources has a lot of examples of the problems here. In general, the
relationship between written and sounding pitch is so messy that even
using the word "transposition" to describe it makes me nervous. With
scordatura, you have to think of different transpositions being in
effect at the same time, even within a chord, and you have to interpret
the key signature very carefully (Fig. 6 of my article). Even timpani
notation of the late 18th and early 19th century, with just two notes,
is like that: consider the first movement of the Beethoven 4th, in
B-flat major, where the timpani B-flat's and F's are on a staff with no
key signature and no accidentals (Fig. 4).

I think Thomas is exactly right in that written pitch must be encoded
for a lot of information about the appearance of the score to be
meaningful. However, there are also many cases where you can't reliably
infer the sounding pitch without giving the "transposition" on a
note-by-note basis. But in that situation, why think about
"transposition" at all? It makes more sense to just encode the sounding
as well as the written pitch.

--Don