[MEI-L] @trans.diat and @trans.semi

Raffaele Viglianti raffaeleviglianti at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 12:16:11 CET 2012

Hello,

I'm also a supporter of MEI as firstly being a document-oriented format, so
the written pitch should be preferred in my opinion. We need to make sure,
though, that enough information is provided to compute the transposition
for analytical purposes and for exporting to other formats, and it seems
that the attributes in question are the place where to express this
information.

If I understand correctly, this does not fully solved what Michael pointed
out:

"The issue is that you want to be able to change the transposition for
different passages, and I don’t think that changing the Instrument tag is
the best approach."

Do we perhaps need a way to specify when and how the transposition rules
are supposed to change within a piece? Is re-defining staffDef the best way?

Best,
Raffaele